Cross-browser testing is a pain. Jonathan Snook walks us briskly through one of the most effective and efficient ways to approach it — provided you have a budget for licenses of VMWare Fusion and Windows.
Back in 2009, Nathan Rice put together a nice little post on some very useful WordPress functions that are often forgotten:
“StatCounter’s July numbers show that Firefox and Chrome, when combined, now account for over 50 percent of web browsing. Technically, Firefox now has a 27.95 percent share, while Chrome has 22.14 percent. Combined, their 50.09 percent easily beat IE’s 42.45 percent.”
The folks at ThinkVitamin have put together a great little round up of top links for getting up to speed with OSX Lion:
Awwwards.com has compiled a list of some pretty fantastic WordPress plugins, including plugins for:
- HMTL Newsletters
- Social Buttons
- Google Site Maps
- Web Forms
- and more
In a recent survey of mobile phone consumers, Nielsen reports that a majority of mobile phone purchases are now smartphones. Additionally, they included this nice graphic which charts a resurgence of Apple’s iPhone, which has been gaining market share in recent months in its ongoing competition with Google’s Android platform.
From the article:
Android continues to be the most popular smartphone operating system, with 38 percent of smartphone consumers owning Android devices. However, while Android also leads among those who recently purchased a new smartphone, it is the Apple iPhone that has shown the most growth in recent months.
For those who love iA’s Writer app, Justin Blanton has examined details of its visual and typographic design:
- Background: f5f6f6 (rgb(245,246,246)) with a touch of noise
- Font Color: #424242 (rgb(66,66,66))
- Font: Nitti Light
- Line Height / Leading: 1.5
For responsive web designers —
Chris Coyier lays out three currently experimental methods for serving specific images to a website user, depending on the user’s device: mobile, tablet, desktop.
The three he names include:
- CSS3 Image Replacement
- PHP Cookie
Chris provides helpful links to more extensive discussions of these methods. It seems that each offers benefits and drawbacks. It will be interesting to watch this develop.
From Elliott Jay Stocks:
The basic premise is this: you use media queries to design responsive websites that adapt their layout according to browser width, and you constantly resize your browser to see how the site performs, but each time a query kicks in, there’s a harsh jump between the old styles and the new ones. Why not use some simple CSS transitions to smooth that jump by animating the resize?