Roots has changed so much I need to re-work these tutorials. I hope to clear the space and start cranking them out soon. If you’d like, sign up for email notifications in the sidebar, so you’ll be notified when I’ve begun rolling them out again!
This short video series introduces basic steps for installing and customizing the Roots Themes to suit your needs. By basic, I do mean basic. (Advanced users — you’ve been warned. Flee now. I’ll try to cook up something for you later.)
What these videos will cover:
- Downloading and installing the Roots Theme (very basic)
- Loading dummy content for theme development (from the WordPress theme unit test)
- Creating dropdown menu items (requires the creation of custom links)
- Creating a custom page template (introduces
- Creating a custom page loop
- Customizing the CSS by adding custom styles to
These videos are more-or-less stand-alone. Choose the topic relevant to your needs and jump in.
One more disclaimer: Production quality is a little rough in spots. Rushed to get these out for my university students. My apologies.
1. Download and Install the Roots Theme
2. Need Dummy Content? Here’s How
3. Create Dropdown Menu Items
4. Create a Custom Page Template
5. Create a Custom Page Loop
6. Add your Custom CSS
Don’t miss the full Roots Theme series
This is the first installment of a longer series I’m developing on Roots Theme customization.
Additional topics include:
- Use your custom page template for a static front page
- Reposition the Navbar
- More topics in the works …
If you’d like an introduction to Twitter Bootstrap …
Again this is another basic introduction, but if that’s what you’re after, I’ve got a Twitter Bootstrap video tutorial series underway at Webdesign.tutsplus.com.